Trolling For Tinfoil
Wednesday, July 20, 2005
 
Tag, I'm it.
My friend Sougata has tagged me- My list is pretty paltry compared to his, but he seems to have one of those super-minds that absorb and inquire about everything.

Here goes.

Total books I own: I used to own a ton- As in a whole wall full. My Mom still has a lot of them downstairs in my old room, and I like to go back and re-raid the shelves from time to time. In my apartment, I have about twenty.
Last book I bought: In the Company of Soldiers by Rick Atkinson. Pretty good writer, highly analytical but without all the standard literary-Armies-are-Evil snobbery.
Last book I read: Trying to finish a Biography of George C. Marshall. That man has probably influenced more aspects of the twentieth century than every president he served under, a selfless overachiever and respected by those he worked for and with to the point of worship.

Books that mean a lot to me: To date there has never been a book that “changed the way I think about things”. There are those that I’m fond of, either because I read them at a particularly pleasant time in life, or because certain passages or characters stuck in my mind.

Anything by John D. MacDonald. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be Travis McGee.

Little Men/ Little Women Louisa May Alcott. Classic for a reason.

D-Day Stephen Ambrose. He makes History accessible, and it really gave a human sense of perspective to the massive tragedy and triumph that was D-Day.

Cold Sassy Tree Olive Ann Burns. Her first book and her best. She died of cancer before completing the second, and it will break your heart.

Lolita Victor Nabokov. Considering that English was more of a hobby or one of many languages he spoke, the man was an artist with words and sentence structure.

A Game of Thrones George R.R. Martin. No talent fade in this Fantasy series yet, unlike Jordan or Eddings. People die that wouldn’t in other series, and the most unlikable characters have human moments. Try it- You’ll like it.

I’ve read most of the classics, and they were good, but most didn’t move me deeply. I liked David Copperfield, A tale of Two Cities, Moby Dick, and Catch-22. That’s it. I liked them.

Sue me.



Comments:
Oh yes, Litte Women is something I forgot. I really liked it. Haven't read Jo's Boys, which is supposed to be the next in series. Question: Are men allowed to like these books? Isn't there some sort of a ordinance out against that?

I am also impressed by the fact that English was not Victor Vladimir Nabokov's first language. It was not even his second. He knew five, I think. Remarkable.

I was once doing some research into the United State's role in the Second World War as part of a History paper. I came across the life of George C. Marshall then. I think he is a remarkable, remarkable man who deserves a large part of the credit for modernizing the US Army and making it what it is today. He was a giant.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger